Monday, January 8, 2018

Shannon's Sweet Chili

 This chili got put on the menu because the boys got tired of me trying new recipes! I go through jags of working through a new cookbook or magazine and that happened last week. When I do my share of the menu planning, I ask the boys if they have any requests. Neither had any ideas for me, so off I went. On Monday night, after seeing nothing familiar for the rest of the week, my older son put a sticky note on the monthly meal planner that he wanted this for dinner 😂 

I remember when my mom gave me this recipe. It was right after my oldest son was born. I still have the original copy she made from Family Circle magazine. I made a few modifications for our tastes.


This a recipe that can be thrown together on a weeknight or made over the weekend and warmed up and served later during the week. This recipe freezes well. I serve this with cheese on top.




Shannon's Sweet Chili

1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, diced






1 can diced tomatoes, 28 ounces
1 can tomato sauce, 28 ounces
2 cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar




 In a large nonstick pot, brown beef, onion and garlic for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
 
 Add chili powder, salt, cumin, pepper and oregano. Cook for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add diced tomatoes. Fill can with water and add to pot along with tomato sauce, beans and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes. 
 
Let stand for 10 minutes 
 
Serve over cooked elbow macaroni. Serve with cheese and sour cream if desired. Makes 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment